With its 130ha of vineyards (120ha in AOC Margaux and 10ha in AOC Haut-Médoc) the Château Lascombes is one of the biggest châteaux of the Médoc.
Second Crus classé in 1855, the Château has a strong prestigious history which begins with the knight of Lascombes, born in 1625, and with a terroir composed of about 40 of the best plots of land of the region Margaux.
Both in the vineyard and in the vat house, tradition and modernity together deliver a powerful, concentrated, fruity and elegant wine.
In 2001, a new era begun under the supervision of Dominique Befve.
The vat house and the vineyard were completely restructured to produce a wine that deserves its ranking and the name of the appellation.
Since 2011, it is the MACSF (French insurance company) which is the owner of the property, that is still managed by Dominique Befve.
Château Siran, located in the Margaux appellation, was named after its first owner, Guilhem de Siran, who bought the property in 1480. But the production of wine really began in the Château at the end of the 17th, when the Médoc became a well-known wine region.
This is when the Miailhe family settled down in Bordeaux as wine brokers and then took over the estate in the second half of the 18th century.
Since then, Château Siran has been run by the same family. Today, Edouard Miailhe represents the fifth generation at the head of the estate.
Nowadays, Château Siran has a 25 hectares vineyard in the Margaux appellation which has been all renovated, like the production facilities.
The particular soil on the property, composed of sand, gravels and clay led to an unusual grape planting: 46% of Merlot, 41% of Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% of Petit Verdot and 2% of Cabernet Franc.
Château Siran is today recognized for its high quality wines.
Considered as one of the main Crus Bourgeois Supérieur of the 19th century, Lamothe-Bergeron has always been a reference of the Haut-Médoc region.
The vineyard of the Château covers 67 ha. Its wine reflects the quality of its terroir and benefits of the Crus Bourgeois status since the 19th century.
In 2009, the Cognac Houses H. Mounier and Hardy acquired the property with great ambitions. In 2015, after 18 months of work, the Château is completely restored.
Château Dauzac Grand Cru Classé Margaux in 1855 is a prestigious property of 120 ha, made of a 45 ha vineyard all in one piece, a magnificent raised park and a zone of biodiversity.
The vat house has new oak tuns that are equipped with a transparent double stave, which allow a precise piloting of the fermentations.
The wine of Château Dauzac, 65 % Cabernet-Sauvignon and 35 % Merlot, is rich in tannins with an infinite flexibility, powerful and delicate.
We can assert that back in Gallo-Roman times, agriculture was the central activity of the area but it is thanks to the Templars that Lagrange began to produce wine.
They put two estates together to form the biggest wine estate in the Médoc region.
After the Templars, different owners ran the estate without letting any trace until 1631.
Between 1631 and 1983, three charismatic owners improved and sublimated the estate, building the Tuscan-style tower in 1820 for instance, which has become Château Lagrange’s emblem.
In 1983, Suntory, the leading Japanese group in the beverage industry, purchased the estate. This new ownership gave to Château Lagrange the means to make the most of its unique terroir.
With its vineyard all in one piece and within the Saint-Julien appellation, the estate takes advantage of the complexity of its soil, combining gravels, sand and iron-rich clay.
Paloumey is from a Gascon word refering to the wood pigeon.
At the beginning of the XIXth century Paloumey's wines had acquired an indisputable reputation. The 35 hectares estate belonged then to Octave Dupuy, a wine merchant who entirely renovated it. The wine soon ranked among the best.
Crus bourgeois as it is attested b y Féret's rating in 1868. Alas! In the 1950s, after the dark years of war and phylloxera, the vineyards had suffered too much and had to be uprooted. When Martine Cazeneuve bet on Paloumey, she decided to restore the estate's image in 1989.
The reward for her determination was in 2003 when Paloumey was classified as a Cru Bourgeois supérieur.
At first, Château Giscours was a tower, meant to protect the area against potential invaders but the real birth of the estate dates from 1552, when Pierre de Lhomme, a wealthy Bordeaux draper bought the property and its house called “Guyscoutz”.
This is when the first vines were planted and the wine production began.
However, the building we know today was designed in the 19th century, thanks to wealthy and influential owners such as the Cruse family who also decided to build modern production facilities like the “Ferme Suzanne”.
In 1995, Eric Albada Jelgersma took over the estate and decided to restore the prestige of this Margaux Classified Growth of the 1855 Classification.
The gravel hilltops, heritage from the Quaternary Period are key features of Château Giscours’ terroir.
Those gravels have a central role in the vines’ life as they maintain a stable temperature during the nights, giving back to the plant the sun heat they stored during the day, thereby providing ideal conditions to mature the grapes.
We know for sure that Château Camensac already had a wine history in the 18th century as the “chartreuse” house dates from this era. However, our archives go back to 1964 only, when the Forner family bought the estate and decided to renovate it.
Thanks to brand new production facilities, they made sure the property would still deserve its ranking in the 1855 Classification.
Since 2005, Château Camensac belongs to Céline Villars-Foubet, also owning Château Chasse Spleen, and her uncle. Always seeking for quality and excellence, they kept the same philosophy as the previous owners.
Château Camensac’s vineyard is situated in the Haut-Médoc appellation, at the border of the prestigious Saint-Julien appellation.
Planted with 60% of Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% of Merlot, it is cultivated to express the complex terroir composed of gravels but also limestone and clay.
The yield is limited to harvest concentrated grapes, the owners preferring quality to quantity.
Created in the 18th century by Pierre Mitchell, an important Irish negociant after falling in love with the Bordeaux region and its wines, the estate has always produced very fine wines.
Following the criteria of the founder, the different owners kept on seeking for quality and all of those efforts were awarded in 1855, when Château du Tertre was classified as a Margaux “Grand Cru Classé” or Classified Growth.
Since then, the 52 hectares of vines have stayed the same.
The actual owner, Eric Albada Jelgersma, bought the estate in 1997 and invested a lot to return to its historical glory and express its elegant personality year after year.
Located on one of the highest gravel hills of the region, the vines are in the best conditions to express the Margaux terroir.
Cabernet Sauvignon is king and gives to the wine the structure we expect from a Médoc wine whereas Merlot brings its suppleness and Cabernet Franc spices the blend which is completed with Petit Verdot, a typical grape variety from the Bordeaux region.
At first, Joseph Stanislas Gruaud used to own three different vineyards and decided to unify them under one name in the middle of the 18th century. This is how “Gruaud” was born.
When he died, the property went to a relative, Monsieur de Larose who decided to add his name to Gruaud and the wine estate became Gruaud-Larose. Those two generations worked hard to reach a high quality and to gain a good reputation for the property. Thanks to that work, the property was classified in the 1855 Classification.
After Monsieur de Larose’s death, the estate was divided between two families, Balguerie and Sarget who split it to have one property each: Gruaud Larose-Bethmann and Gruaud Larose-Sarget.
The vineyard was reunified by Désiré Cordier who purchased the different shares between 1917 and 1935 and put the 68 hectares of vines together again.
Between 1983 and 1997, Château Gruaud Larose belonged to different French groups and is now run by the Merlaut family, well-known in the wine sector of Bordeaux.
The vineyard of Château Gruaud Larose is exceptional as some of the vines are almost a hundred years old.
A perfect knowledge of the different terroirs of the property led to plant 60% of Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% of Merlot and the rest divided between Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot.
Those grape varieties are vinified in new and innovative production facilities, implemented by the Alcatel-Alsthom group when it used to own the estate.
Property of the Austruy vineyards since 2012, the Château Malescasse built in 1824, illustrates perfectly the timeless classicism of the great wines of the Haut-Medoc region.
Renowned for the quality of its wines and its special terroir, the château is situated between Margaux and Saint Julien, on the municipality of Lamarque. Here, Merlot and Cabernet express themselves with harmony.
The vineyard of Château Malescasse is formed of 40 hectares all in one piece. Thus, it benefits from a great homogeneity. The nuances from one plot of land to another one determines its complexity and its balance.
At the heart of the village of Listrac-Medoc, the Château Fourcas Hosten is an beautiful chartreuse of the XVIIIth century, surrounded by a magnificent 3 ha park.
In constant research of excellence, the Château Fourcas Hosten puts the human being and the flora and fauna at the heart of its concerns. In the same spirit, the owners, Laurent and Renaud Momméja, are motivating their team around an ambitious corporate development plan. A large-scale restructuring plan improved the quality of their wines produced at the property. In 2016, 100 % of white vineyards and almost 70 % of red vineyards are driven into biological wine growing, with the will to reach 100 % of the vineyard in 2 to 3 years.
Château La Tour Carnet has its origins going back to the XIIth century, what makes of him the oldest Château of the Medoc region.
Its architecture is medieval style with a tower built in 1120. The vineyard of 73ha was implanted there in the year 1407 and the château was classified 4th Cru in 1855.
The château had famous owners as the family of Michel de Montaigne, one of the most well-known French philosophers, who was twice Mayor of Bordeaux.
In 1999, it is Bernard Magrez, the owner of Pape Clément purchased the château and realized since then important renovation works and improvements in the château, the vineyard, the vat house and in the wine cellar.
Some people attribute the name of this château to Lord Byron who visited the estate in 1821, some others to Charles Baudelaire whose friend, Odilon Redon, was a neighbor of the château and illustrated a famous cycle of the poet:” Spleen et Idéal”.
For the past thirty years, it has always been a woman who has been running the estate. The first one was Bernadette Villars in 1976, followed by her daughter Claire in 1992. Nowadays, Céline Villars-Foubet, Claire’s sister is the head of the estate, continuing a family tradition.
The vineyard is located in the Moulis-en-Médoc appellation, the smallest one in the Médoc region. Situated just off the châteaux route and half way between Margaux and Saint Julien, it has a fantastic variety of terroirs, from pure Garonne and Pyreneans gravels to the iconic alliance of limestone and clay.
Thanks to this diversity, Chasse Spleen shows the best of its appellation with the fresh and mineral qualities of Cabernet Sauvignon, grown on a thick layer of gravels, and the roundness and smoothness of Merlot, planted on limestone and clay soils.
The origin of this very old property of 45ha all in one piece, goes back to the middle of the XVIth century. The château Lafon-Rochet, Grand Crus classé in 1885, belongs since 1960 to the family Tesseron, producer of Cognac. Ideally situated between Cos d'Estournel and Lafite-Rothschild in the South, Lafon-Rochet can claim one of the most prestigious winemaking neighborhoods of the whole world.
In 2000 the vat house and barrel cellar were renovated.
The Château Marquis de Terme (4th Grand Cru Classé in 1855) is a 40 ha vineyard located in the heart of the Margaux region (Gironde).
Since 1935, the property belongs to the family Sénéclauze, where one generation follows another one to assure the development.
The fragmented management of the vineyard respects the ecological balances and the environment. The manual harvesting is the object of a carefully sorting in order to use only the most beautiful grapes for the production. A human-sized Grand Cru Classé, which expresses its modernity in the respect of the tradition.
he château was established in the 18th century by the family Gorce, who gave it its original name. The property was already considered as one of the best Second Crus of the Médoc even before the classification of 1855.
In 1833, the château was acquired by the baron of Brane, known as the "Napoleon of the vineyards", who called the Château Brane-Cantenac.
In 1925, Léonce Récapet, owner of Château Margaux, bought it. His grandson, Lucien, succeeded him in 1956. In 1992, his son Henri took over the direction. Since his arrival, Henri Lurton promised himself to give to every vintage of this great Margaux, the brightness and the complexity which confers to it its exceptional terroir, always looking for the balance between the quality of the vintage and the elegance of the wine. Today, Brane is a château on cutting edge of progress, provided with very successful working tools such as its quite new optical sorting system. The search for the excellence is one of the priorities of the owner!
The name of this property comes from its founder, Gabriel Ferrière, a royal broker of Bordeaux in the XVIIIth century.
In 1855, Château Ferrière was classified third Grand Crus classé.
With its 20 ha of vineyards, situated mainly on the municipality of Margaux and its terroir, Château Ferrière has one of the smallest vineyards of all Grand Crus Classified in 1855. The size of its vineyard, allied to the beauty of its terroir, made the wine of Château Ferrière, a rare and appreciated product.
Claire Villars Lurton is the owner of this vineyard which undertook a complete renovation of its installations and that is transforming itself progressively into biodynamie. The property has the biological certification since 2015.
Producer of one of the most renowned properties of Pauillac today, the château was established in 1694 by the Baron Jacques Pichon de Longueville.
The Château is situated in Pauillac and is ranked second Grand Cru in the official classification of Bordeaux wines in 1855.
The vineyard of Château Pichon Longueville Baron is 73ha big. Its terroir is constituted of 62 % of Cabernet sauvignon, 35% of Merlot and 3 % of Cabernet Franc.
Acquired by the group Axa at the end of the 80s, "Pichon Baron" was reorganized from top to bottom within two decades and the team, around Christian Seely, realizes an exemplary work which brings it to the top of the Médoc Crus. The tool of wine making and the vat house, as well as the vineyard that was widely transplanted, allowed it to achieve a historic level of quality with the last vintage.
The Château Léoville Poyferré, Second Grand Crus classé in 1855 of Saint Julien, develops its first wine from 80 ha of vineyard. The Vineyard is divided between 4 grape varieties for a final assembly dominated by the Cabernet sauvignon with then approximately a quarter of Merlot, 5 to 10% of Petit Verdot and traces of Cabernet Franc.
In 1920, the Cuvelier family bought the property and since 1979, Didier Cuvelier insures the proper functioning.
Since then, every year, important investments, technical as well as human ones, are realized. Always in synergy with the exceptional terroir of Léoville Poyferré, they aim to express the specificity of the terroir completely in the wine.
All these innovative and daily efforts allow to obtain one very great wine, distributed all over the world.
The wine is characterized by its perfect balance, its very big delicacy, its elegance and its remarkable capacity of ageing potential.
The château has been established in the XIIth century by the monks of the abbey of Vertheuil.
In 1951, Alexis Lichine, nicknamed the pope of the wine, takes over the property and gave him its name two years later. Thanks to a policy made out of patience, he gave the château new terroirs, modernizes the existing installations and restores the former house. The château Prieuré-Lichine connects its fate to the family Lichine during almost half a century.
Today, property of the group Ballande, the château pursues its history, with the additional 8 ha acquisition in 2012 and the construction of a new vat house.
Chateau Pédesclaux, Grand Crus Classé in 1855, was created in 1810 by a famous wine broker of Bordeaux and is situated in one of the most beautiful sectors of Pauillac. The vineyard of 42ha is located on grounds of grave with a clayey basement with a grape planting mainly constituted of Cabernet-sauvignon and Merlot.
The château is in full progress since an in-depth restructuring of the vineyard in 2009, an acquisition of new qualitative plots of land and the construction of a gravitaire cellar respecting the original quality of the grape.
The vineyard was established in 1850, year of the creation of the property by Pierre Sauts in Listrac, Médoc. His son Claude succeeded him and developed the vineyard until his premature departure. The property then remains in hibernation for around sixty years.
In 1993, Alain Blasquez, great-grandson of Pierre Sauts, took a professional turning point and decided to relaunch the Château Baudan. A real challenge, that was carefully thought over during several years.
Château Baudan got bigger thanks to different purchases of plots of land and plantations. Today the vineyard has the size of 9 ha.
In June 2003, the serious work of the owners and their oenologist Marc Quertinier was rewarded: château Baudan became a Grand Crus Bourgeois.
Their vineyards are composed of 3 grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, merlot and Petit Verdot
Built in the late 18th century in a classical style by Mark Kirwan, an Irish businessman.
He brought together two small vineyards in the village of Cantenac: Ganet and Lasalle in order to create Kirwan.
Thomas Jefferson mentions the wine in his book. Chateau Kirwan was ranked first of the classified third growths of the Medoc in the 1855 classification that was created for the Universal Exhibition organized by Napoleon IIIIn 1926 the family bought the estate Schÿler.
Today, the property is in the hands of Sophie, Natalie and Yann Schÿler.
The chateau du Taillan, is located at the doors of Bordeaux, in the area of Medoc. This family owned property is nowadays run exclusively by women. Since Henri Cruse bought the estate in 1896, 4 generations had been at the head of the property until the five sisters started to take care of the vineyard. The chateau du Taillan is one of the most beautiful properties in Gironde for its chateau dating back from the 18th century but also for its unique underground caves protected on the French Historical Monuments list.
The chateau has a gorgeous park filled with hundred year-old trees and magnificent statues that are welcoming you for a walk. The vineyard is spread out on 30 hectares to produce a Cru Bourgeois of high quality as well as a white wine, a rare production for a Medoc estate, especially made with 100% Sauvignon Blanc. The vineyard for the red varietals is planted with the classical Bordeaux grapes counting a majority of Merlot (70%) due to a large proportion of clay, but also 20% of Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Cabernet Franc.
The château's history started in the 11th century. The foundations are from that time. This is the oldest château of the Medoc region. The donjon is the first thing you can see when you get to the château. The latter and the wall walks etc are from the 14th century and built in the middle of the Hundred Years' War. After that war, many French Lords used to live there.
The château has been in the same family since 7 generations. He became one of the estate of Monsieur Gromand's family in 1841, already owner of other châteaux like Haut-Brion or Château Margaux, both of them First Growth classified.
The outbuildings where are situated the cellars are from the 17th century.
It has been a vineyard since the 15th century.
Situé aux portes de Pauillac et dominant l'estuaire de la Gironde, le vignoble de Lynch-Bages s'étend sur le plateau de Bages, l'une des plus belles croupes de graves de la commune. Autrefois propriété de l'illustre famille Lynch, d'origine irlandaise, le domaine fut racheté en 1934 par Jean-Charles Cazes.
Ses descendants, André, Jean-Michel, Sylvie, et Jean-Charles Cazes oeuvrent successivement au développement et au renom de ce cru classé en 1855. Dès 1980, Jean-Michel entreprend la modernisation de Lynch-Bages tout en conservant l'ancien cuvier témoin du XIXe siècle et du prestige retrouvé de ce cru d'exception... Persuadé que le vin appartient à un vaste univers culturel, un art de vivre, une manière d'être et de partager, il crée le Château Cordeillan Bages, un Relais & Châteaux qui accueille aujourd'hui les visiteurs du monde entier et propose une table illustre sous la baguette de Jean-Luc Rocha.
À partir de 2001, il fait revivre le village de Bages directement adossé à la propriété et pas à pas, confie les rênes du domaine à son fils Jean-Charles. Les vins de Lynch Bages sont les témoins de cette générosité et de cette excellence.
Aujourd'hui, le désir de toute la famille Cazes est de vous accueillir à Lynch Bages pour partager sa passion.